The jurisdiction of the City of Chicago Inspector General’s Office extends to:
- The three elected officers of the City government – the Mayor, the City Clerk and the City Treasurer;
- Appointed officers of the City government in the performance of their official duties;
- All employees of the City in the performance of their official duties;
- All contractors and subcontractors providing of goods or services to the City;
- Business entities seeking contracts or certification of eligibility for City contracts; and
- People seeking certification of eligibility for participation in any City program.
When the IGO ordinance was adopted in 1989, an amendment was passed excluding City Council members and Council staff from the IGO’s jurisdiction.